As you know that Apple always offers us latest and modest technologies. There is a built in recovery mode in Apple’s iMac computers by which you can reset your iMac to its original factory settings.
This is a relatively pain free and straightforward process that never takes an advanced degree or specialization in computer science for its accomplishment. But, this process is pretty time consuming and it takes a few hours to work with the help of steps.
Here is the complete guide for you for “ HOW TO FACTORY RESET iMAC?
- Create your backup.
- Sign out of iTunes earlier ( in macOS Mojave).
- Sign out of your iCloud Account.
- Sign out of your iMessages.
- Reset your NVRAM.
- Unpair your wireless and Bluetooth devices you are currently using.
- Erase your hard drive.
- Reinstall macOS.
Restore factory settings.
We recommend you to reinstall MacOs for a few reasons.
- Might want to sell your iMac.
- If you need to remove any trace of proprietary or confidential data from your iMac.
- You’ve brought a second hand iMac.
- The restore process will also clean up an iMac infected with viruses and malware.
Get USB Accessories.
Unpairing any of the Bluetooth or any other wireless accessories is the part of iMac reformat. It includes a mouse, pointing devices or keyboard, if you operate them with your device. Your device needs some of the other ways for controlling computers, without your bluetooth devices.
So that’s why, you have to use a standard USB mouse and keyboard, temporarily.
You can pair your iMac with your Bluetooth devices again, once you have successfully restored MacOS.
- How to factory reset iMac?
- All of your personal data will be erased in the macOS restore Backup of your computer.
All of your personal data will be erased in macOS restore procedure. Before beginning this process, don’t forget to Backup your iMac to an internet Backup service or external hard drive to preserve any personal and useful information. and your data will not be lost if for any reason, your restore process fails.
you may not need to Backup if you are restoring someone else’s computer you just brought for yourself.
deactivate your iCloud, iTunes and iMessage if it is your own computer.
for deactivating iTunes,
- tap on the account menu.
- click on authorization.
- tap on deauthorize this computer.
for deactivating iCloud, you can do it with the help of system preferences.
If you want to deactivate iMessage, you can do it with the help of iMessage app.
if you have any of your bluetooth devices paired with your iMac, unpair it before factory resetting your iMac.
- Click on the Apple menu.
- tap on system preferences.
- tap on Bluetooth.
- move your cursor over your wireless device names.
- when you place your cursor on your device name, you’ll see an X button appearing.
- click this for unpairing your device.
afterwards, you can connect a wired USB equivalent mouse or keyboard to your device.
by clicking on the Apple menu, restart your device and after this select Restart.
you can click the restart button after you see a dialog button appearing on your screen.
After this, your device will shut down completely. But before it will start again, you have to hold down the Command and R keys together. you will see a macOS utilities menu on your screen, by this menu, you can now reinstall your macOS.
Run Disk utility.
You can run this, by clicking on the Run the Disk Utility window by clicking on it.
- Click on Macintosh HD.
- Then, tap on erase if you want to erase data present in your hard drive.
- When you see the erase success message appears, click on the disk utility.
Install a fresh copy of macOS to your iMac after erasing your hard drive.
- From the utilities window, click on the Reinstall macOS.
The older version of your Mac software is called OS X. this will instead offer you a selection that is “ reinstall OS X” that is able to accomplish the same task. The utility prompts you to accept the license agreement or choose a language for accepting.
Your iMac will have a new operating system along with factory reset after this process will complete.
So, that was the complete guideline for you, by this you are now able to factory reset your iMac. Checkout our articles on,
- Mac mini vs iMac.
- iMac 2020 release.
- New macbook pro.
- Best monitors for macbook pro.
- iPad pro vs macbook.
We hope you find this article helpful. Let us know if you have any further query or comment regarding this topic. Looking forward to your reviews.