Here is the step by step guide for you if you want to reset your MacBook Air. we know that your MacBook Air has served you will and now the time is for upgrading it to something new so before giving your computer or if you are going to sell it or recycle it it is important to reset the machine to factory condition and the pros this will wipe your files and this process also install macos and get it ready for the new owner when completed sorry setting a MacBook Air is not such a simple process as pushing a few button on your keyboard and Apple has done a great job of making it relatively pain-free process for you.
How to factory reset macbook air. BACKUP YOUR DATA.
When you reset your device it is obvious that all of your data will be erased. so make sure you backup your files before factory resetting your MacBook Air and if you have for ready backup your MacBook Air on regular basis through and other solution or time machine so before resetting your computer make sure you have saved backup because if you like your backup then you will not be able to restore your data back. One of the convenient way for backing up your file is with the help of a time machine.
How to factory reset MacBook air: SIGN OUT FROM ICLOUD.
First of all, you have to make sure to sign it out from iCloud. For this;
- Choose the Apple menu present at the top left of your device
- Select system preferences.
- After this you have to click on your Apple ID.
- Choose overview in the sidebar.
- Then tap on sign out.
After this process you will be asked whether you want to keep a copy of your iCloud data in your Mac, so you can click keep a copy ,If you are using your Mac later in the reset process so it will be helpful if you will click to keep a copy.
How to factory reset MacBook air: RECOVERY MODE.
The next step is to enter your recovery mode before factory resetting your device apple make lighter in a period of translation as a company shift away from intel based processes so entering a recovery mode is also an important step to reset your make you have to follow for different processor intel based machine and those with an apple and one Core processor or if you have a later model.
If you want to enter the recovery mode on your internal machines follow the following steps
- Click on Apple menu present at the top left of your device.
- Choose restart.
- When you see that the computer screen goes black you have to hold off the command + R keys on your keyboard until you see the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- At this point the computer will also boot up and then open the recovery mode.
if you have a Mac with Apple core processor and include Apple MacBook Air M1 or 2020 model then it is actually a little bit easier for you to put up your machine into the recovery mode on these machines
- You have to turn off your computer.
- After this press and hold the power button on your keyboards.
- When you see the Apple logo appears on the screen you will see a message that will let you know that.
- By continuing to hold the power button you will access the startup options.
- After a few seconds it will load the startup option after this step option.
- Continue to enter the macOS recovery mode.
The next step you have to do is to erase your machine regardless of whether you are on the Intel based processes or if you are an apple silicone based MacBook Air.
- It is time to finish the reset process by using disk utility.
- After this if asked to login to the next screen with the administrator privileges and from the macOS recovery screen you have to choose disk utility.
- After this choose Macintosh HD present on the left side of your screen.
- Click erase.
- In the type box you have to rename your drive and format after this keep the name Macintosh HD.
- Set the format to MacOS extended for APFS.
- The next step is to click a raise volume up.
- If you don’t see any of this button you have to click raise instead then enter your Apple ID if applicable if you have any other internal volume in the sidebar.
- You have to click the delete volume button marked with a.
- Make sure you don’t delete any folder name the Macintosh HD on Macintosh HD data then skip the external and disc image section present on the sidebar.
The next step is to reinstall your mac os. install macOS from the utility window present in macOS recovery then choose continue and follow the installer instruction. If you see that the installer instructions offers you to choose between installing a Macintosh HD on Macintosh HD data then you have to select Macintosh HD and Once the process is completed you will be asked to begin the max at a process and if you are selling or if you are giving away your device then type command + Q, for exiting. And now you see that your MacBook Air has now been factory reset.
We hope you find this article helpful. Let us know if you have any type of query or comment regarding this topic. Looking forward to your reviews.
Check out our articles on; use iMac as monitor, new MacBook Pro, iPad Pro vs MacBook, reset SMC MacBook pro, why is my MacBook pro so slow, how to connect AirPods to MacBook, how to make mac dark mode, how to force quit on Mac.