You can use the built-in display on a supported iMac as an external monitor for another Mac. Now the question is how can you use your iMac as a Monitor with the targeted display mode? If you want to use iMac as a monitor, in target display mode you have to connect it to another Mac by using the connector cable and, after that, you have to press command F2 on the keyboard for connecting it to your iMac. when you are done you have to press command F2 again.
There are following main requirements for this system.
1. iMac desktop or notebook with a mini displayport or thunderbolt port. if your Mac has Thunderbolt 3 that is USB C port then you can connect it by using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.
2. Mini display port for Thunderbolt cable to Mini displayport cable.
3. This also requires a supported iMac with OS x, v 10.6.1 or later.
Models of iMac you can use as a Monitor.
There is the list below for the iMac model that can support target display mode, the type of cable you will need to connect that model of iMac, and the kind of what you need on your other Mac. The iMac 27 inch or later, and the cable you need for this is Mini displayport to Mini display port and post you need on your other Mac is mini displayport or Thunderbolt.
2. iMac 27 inch, mid 2010 table unit for this is Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort and the post you need on your Mac for this is Mini DisplayPort to thunderbolt.
3. The iMac 2011 to 2014 cable you need for this is thunderbolt and the port you need on your other Mac for this is also thunderbolt.
Target as display mode.
you have to follow these steps to start using your Mac as your Monitor.
1. you have to make sure that your imac is turned on and the other imac is logged in into a macos user account.
2. connect Thunderbolt cable or Mini displayport between the two computers.
3 . on the image that you want to use as a display press command F2 on the keyboard..
Incase command F2 doesn’t work.
if you see that your iMac does not Switch to target display mode when you press command F2 you have to check the following things.
1. Ensure that the imac you are using as a display supports target display mode.
2. Target display mode will work only when your primary make is locked in into the macOS user account for example if your first Mac is at the FileVault login screen you have to press F2 on your iMac and it will not enable target display mode so you must log in to your Mac before you can use iMac in target Monitor mode.
3. You have to make sure that you are a pressing command F2 on the keyboard of the Mac that is connected to the iMac you want to use as a display.
4. Now you have to check out your keyboard system preferences. open keyboard system preferences and if the check box is for enabled use all F2 and F1 keys as the standard functional keys then the key combination will change to command fn,f2.
5. Ensure that your Thunderbolt cable and mini displayport is connected to both of your computers.
6. If you see that you are currently logged in into the Mac you want to use as a display then try to log out to return to the login window. After this you have to press command F2 again.
7. Some older Apple keyboards and many other third party keyboards may not allow command f2 for the toggle display modes for. if you see that this is happening to you then try use the keyboard that came with your iMac to tobul target display more off and on.
8. If you see that you are I make it currently started here in a window then it won’t enter target display mode. target display mode will not support in boot camp.
How to exit target display mode.
For existing the target display mode you have to press F2 on your device keyboard again. your I make also exist the target display mode if you will disconnect the cable that is connecting the two computers or if you will shut down or sleep one of the computers.
Please note that if the connected Mac will go into sleep mode then the iMac screen turns off until you wake the computer or until you take your iMac out of target display mode.
You can control the brightness of your device display while it’s in the target display mode from a connected math also. for this you have to use the display spare of the system preferences on the connected mac. alternatively you can use the brightness keys on the keyboard of the connected Mac. If you want to hear audio from a connected Mac, you can use the built-in speaker of your iMac. you can select the iMac from the Sound pane of the system preferences. You can also use media keys and sound keys on the keyboard of the connected Mac for adjusting the volume and for controlling playback of iTunes and other media.
Connect more than one display.
You can use more than one iMac computer as a display as long as it is directly connected to a thunderbolt port on your computer or using a thunderbolt cable. Each of the iMac you will connect as a display will count towards the maximum number of simultaneously connected displays that your Mac supports. In addition to this if you have set your I make to automatically logged out more than Apps will be fast or closed when this happens but your iMac will remain in target display mode.
You should avoid trying to connect Imac computers that are in target display mode with each other. Each iMac in target display mode will be connected directly to a mini display for a thunderbolt port directly on the Mac where you want to use it as a display.,
Use apps on your iMac.
If any of the apps is open on your iMac it will remain active and open while your iMac is in the target display mode for example if you begin playing music in iTunes on your then activate target display more so the iTunes does not pause a close on your mac. If you have set your iMac to automatically logged out more the apps will be closed post when this happened but your iMac will remain in target display mode.
If a Mac is connected on a Mac in a darker display mode it cannot be used. In a computer built-in camera it’s Thunderbolt it’s USB or firewire for devices connected to these ports. If you want to use external devices with your Mac connect this device is directed to the Mac that you want to use with them.
Checkout our articles on, mac mini vs iMac,iMac 2020 release, how to factory reset iMac, iMac running slow, mac touch bar, iMac g3, iMac 27 inch.
Let us know if you have any further query or comment regarding this topic. Looking forward to your reviews.